Maintain your equipment to prevent future problems and unwanted costs. Keep your cooling system at peak performance by having a contractor do annual pre-season check- ups. Contractors get busy once summer and winter come, so it’s best to check the cooling system in the spring and the system in the fall. To remember, you might plan the check- ups around the time changes in the spring and fall.
What Does A Typical AC Maintenance Checklist Consists?
A typical maintenance check-up should include the following.
- Check thermostat settings to ensure the cooling system keeps you comfortable when you are home and saves energy while you are away.
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors. Faulty electrical connections can cause unsafe operation of your system and reduce the life of major components.
- Lubricate all moving parts. Parts that lack lubrication cause friction in motors and increases the amount of electricity you use.
- Check and inspect the condensate drain in your central air conditioner, furnace and/or heat pump (when in cooling mode). A plugged drain can cause water damage in the house and affect indoor humidity levels.
- Check controls of the system to ensure proper and safe operation. Check the starting cycle of the equipment to assure the system starts, operates, and shuts off properly.
Routine AC maintenance is critical to ensure optimal performance and longevity of your cooling system. Therefore, scheduling regular maintenance with a licensed HVAC technician is crucial to ensure the smooth and efficient functioning of your system, and to help you save money in the long run.
Checklist Of Specific Cooling
- Clean evaporator and condenser air conditioning coils. Dirty coils reduce the system’s ability to cool your home and cause the system to run longer, increasing energy costs and reducing the life of the equipment.
- Check your central air conditioner’s refrigerant level and adjust if necessary. Too much or too little refrigerant will make your system less efficient increasing energy costs and reducing the life of the equipment.
- Clean and adjust blower components to provide proper system airflow for greater comfort levels.
- Airflow problems can reduce your system’s efficiency by up to 15 percent.
- Specific Check all gas (or oil) connections, gas pressure, burner combustion and heat exchanger.
- Improperly operating gas (or oil) connections are a fire hazard and can contribute to health problems. A dirty burner or cracked heat exchanger causes improper burner operation. Either can cause the equipment to operate less safely and efficiently.
Actions To Do Yourself – Inspect, clean, or change air filters once a month in your central air conditioner, furnace, and/or heat pump. Your contractor can show you how to do this. A dirty filter can increase energy costs and damage your equipment, leading to early failure.
Pick Your Very Own AC Maintenance Professional!
If you’re looking for a reliable and experienced AC services company to handle your AC maintenance needs, look no further than ICE Heating & Cooling. Our team of skilled technicians has the expertise and knowledge necessary to ensure your cooling system is running at peak efficiency and performance. Also we make sure that your AC installation is done perfectly so contact us today to schedule your AC maintenance appointment and enjoy a cool and comfortable home or business throughout the summer months.